Thursday, January 8, 2009

In a Better Place

Roger A. Schmidt
March 8, 1948 - January 8, 2009

It's hard to believe that I am writing this; it is all so surreal.  Dad went home to be with Jesus at 2:30 today after spending nearly 5 weeks in hospice care.   It is very clear to me that God's hand guided him & me through his passing .  On Tuesday, it was on my heart to go home & see my Dad, so I booked a flight for Wednesday and flew to Rhinelander to spend the day with him & Jeannine.  I was supposed to return to Mpls. at 5 the same day, but my flight was cancelled for maintenance reasons, which meant I had to spend the night in Rhinelander & that I got to spend more time with my Dad.  We watched TV together last night & mostly Jeannine and I chatted the evening away. It was so relaxing.  I hugged my Dad numerous times & he reached up & he held my hand, hanging on for a long time. His last words to me this morning were "I love you so much."  God knew I needed to hear that one last time.   My flight back to Mpls. was at 8:10 this morning. It was a sunny, clear ride back, flying above the clouds with the sun shining bright.  I returned and kept myself busy with errands & unpacking.  I was just about to leave to pick up G & F from school & my stepmom called to give me the news.  In his last moments, he wanted to be turned on his side to look out the window (toward heaven!!!!). Jeannine said the Lord's prayer & as soon as she said "amen", my dad took his last breath.  As hard as this is, it is beautiful to know how awesome our God is & how he orchestrates everything.  I feel peace knowing my dad is not suffering any longer, but I will miss him terribly.    

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jeneen, my heart is breaking for you. It is hard to put things into words. I have lots of special memories that I will share. He is your special angel and will always be looking down on you and all who loved him. He fought the race hard. God has taken him home, but his memories will live in your heart forever. I love you so much. In my prayers. Aunt Barb

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It is very painful losing someone close to your heart. May God Bless you and your family and heal all the hurt in which you are feeling!

Coloradolady said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I am visiting from Blogs by Danielle, I clicked on your new look. I had tears running down my cheeks. I know how hard it is to lose a loved one. What a blessing to be able to spend this time with your dad the last few days. I will keep you in my prayers. Blessings.

Lynn said...

Jeneen - I'm sorry to see your news about your dad. I've been thinking about you lately and wondering how he was doing. Cancer in general - and especially colon cancer - has been in my face for the past year and a half and I am heartbroken over the devestation it causes! I'm so glad you got to head home and spend some time with him. ((hugs))